Withdrawal/Inactive Status

Withdrawing from the University

Undergraduate Students wishing to officially withdraw from the University should note:

Students who wish to leave the university are eligible for withdrawing from the university. To officially withdraw from the University of Miami, undergraduate students are required to meet with an Advisor at the 'Canes Success Center.

Office Hours:

Virtual meetings are available, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Email: success@miami.edu

Phone: (305) 284-4500


 The 'Canes Success Center is located on the 2nd Floor of the University Center, Suite 2275 (also known as "The Nest").

Please visit the University's official Withdrawal Process page for additional information.

Inactive Status

Inactive Status is for students who are planning to leave the university without studying elsewhere and planning to return to UM. Students may utilize status for a maximum of two (2) semesters. Students who have maintained their Inactive Status DO NOT have to reapply for Readmission. Please verify the eligibility of the inactive status before submitting an Inactive Status Notification Form to the BGS Program at BGS@miami.edu.

If a student has missed a major semester (e.g. Fall or Spring) at UM, the student must apply to be readmitted to UM through the Readmission Application.